The bridge was erected from 1473 to 1543 replacing an old Romanesque bridge.
The characteristic 12 statues of saints were added around 1730.
The pedestrianized bridge not only links Würzburg's old town with the former fishermen's quarter on the left bank of the Main river. In recent years it has become one of the city's prime gathering spots for socializing and meeting old and new friends. Especially on warm summer nights visitors mingle with locals and enjoy the lively and convivial atmosphere whilst sipping a glass of Franconian wine.